Pages

Saturday 7 April 2012

Paying Homage to my R

Today is the day my Daiwa Alphas R edition is going on sale, if the deal goes through it'll be on it's way tonight =( 








My R started life as my venture into the baitfinesse revolution. It has upgraded TG rocket bearings, carbontex drag and a set of Livre Titan knobs to finish it off. Back in those days there were no shallow lightweight spool option for the alphas platform thus it was eventually dethroned by my PX68R. The alphas R edition is the highest spec of daiwa factory tuned Alphas.

In it's stock form the reel comes with I'ze Factory carbon swept handle, Super duralumin R tuned spool and is based on the mini power house Alphas platform. This was to be my 2nd alphas after my previous limited edition Yuki ito tuned Alphas Ito. Today, the highest spec Alphas comes in the form of the limited edition Megabass Zonda 10/68 and freshly off release last month was the new megabass finesse spool for this platform. But as i did not wish to have to 2 similar reels i decided to let my alphas go.


Moving on, i've decided to pick up another finesse reel, this time probably a non daiwa one since my PX68R is already daiwa's flagship finesse model.

Some of my potential choices would be

Shimano Core/Aldebaran MG7
Avail Microcast spool
Carbontex drags
ZPI Finesse SIC ceramic bearings
Carbon handle
Zpi Aluminium knobs


Abu Garcia Revo Elite IB/Aurora
Zpi BFC Spool and bearing kit (costs a bomb)
Carbontex drags
Carbon Handle
Zpi Aluminium Knobs

In the midst of my research i've came across a really interesting baitfinesse project by a japanese tackleshop which was based upon a Shimano Chronarch 50E. The white and black with anodized color finishing got me hooked instantly.  Maybe i'll get a aldebaran and order a set of Chronarch shells, or i can get a Chronarch and upgrade the necessary Aldebaran innards. 

Full built can be seen at: http://waterlettu.exblog.jp/16118122/


The Chronarch is one step above the Curado (JDM Scorpion) platform and all of the curado 50e,chronarch 50e, scorpion 1000xt, core and aldebaran shares the exact same frame design. Through my researches it seems it will perform exactly the way a Core/Aldebaran does, less the Magnesium frame and a slower gear ratio therefore slower and heavier. However this led me to a intense interest in doing a full blown built on this affordable reel to turn it into a monster Chronarch. The prospects felt exactly like car tuning; turning a daily driven hot hatch into a monster track machine.

The projected monster Chronarch 50E built:
Avail Microcast spool
Aldebaran 7.0 gearset
Carbontex drag with lightweight washers
ZPI finesse SIC ceramic bearings
Carbon handle and anodized colored drag star
ZPI aluminium knobs

With such upgrades the chronarch 50e will basically become a fully lightened, high speed finesse reel that i'm looking for.

Decisions Decisions!

2 comments:

  1. Hi. Do you know where I can find the handle on the Chronarch 50E? I live in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peng,

    The handle on the Ch50E is made by Avail a japanese tackle parts manufacturer. You should be able to order one through the usual jdm tackle sites such as plat, japantackle, tacklemarunouchi, etc right now the same handle in a swept form seems to be more popular. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete